Red Grouper Steamboat
1 leaner – 3 greens – 1 healthy fat – 3 condiments (per serving)
1 servings Ingredients: • 1 cup sliced zucchini or bitter melon • 1 cube fish bouillon • 2 cups chopped Napa cabbage • 1 cup finely chopped cilantro • 2 tbsp dried seaweed • 1 tbsp fresh ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced • 1½ lb. red grouper • 1 cup cubed kabocha squash • 1 chili padi (also known as bird’s eye or Thai chili pepper), sliced • 1 tbsp sesame oil • 1 tbsp sesame seeds • 1 cup fresh mushrooms, such as enoki or shiitake • 15 oz. firm tofu, cubed • 1 cup tomato wedges • 8 cups water
Make the soup base:
1. Add fish bouillon, water and ginger to a large pot (a steamboat pot or hotpot if you have one!). Bring it to a boil for 15 minutes.
2. Filter the soup through a fine strainer or sieve, and then pour it back into the large pot.
Prepare fish, tofu and vegetables:
3. Prepare the vegetables and protein (fish and tofu) needed for the steamboat.
4. Check and remove bones and fish scales, if any. Slice fish diagonally to uniform thickness.
5.Place the vegetables (including dried seaweed) and protein onto a large plate or bowl.
Make the Steamboat:
6. Bring the soup in the large pot to a boil before adding the vegetables and protein.
7. You may add the cabbage and squash first. Simmer for 10 minutes until softened to your liking.
8. Add the remaining vegetables and protein and simmer until fish is opaque and vegetables are tender. Make sure everything is fully cooked before consumption. Enjoy:
9. Ladle an equal amount of the hot soup with vegetables and protein into 4 serving bowls and garnish with cilantro and chili padi.
10. Enjoy the steamboat and spend some quality time with your loved ones!