Chicken in Spinach Sauce
1 leaner – 3 greens – 1 healthy fat – 3 condiments (per serving)
4 servings Ingredients: • 1¾ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts • 1⅓ oz. toasted cashews • 1 tbsp fresh ginger root, cut into fine strips • 2 tsp garam masala • 2 cloves garlic, finely minced • 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded, deveined, and thinly sliced • 2 small jalapeno peppers, seeded, deveined, and minced • 2 small red bell peppers, seeded, deveined, and thinly sliced • ½ tsp salt • 4 scallions, trimmed and minced • 6 cups spinach • 1 tsp turmeric powder • 3 cups water
1. Very gently poach the chicken in salted water until fully cooked, about 15 to 20 minutes. Once the chicken is done, plunge it into cold water to stop the cooking and to cool it down. Reserve the broth for later use, and pull the chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
2. In a wok or pot, combine one cup of the reserved chicken broth with the sliced green pepper and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until tender. Add the spinach and continue to cook until the spinach has wilted.
3. Combine the spinach and pepper in a blender with the cashews and puree until smooth; set aside.
4. In a wok or large skillet, combine the scallions, ginger, garlic, red peppers, jalapeno peppers, turmeric, and one cup of the reserved chicken broth. Cover with a lid and cook until the red peppers are tender.
5. Stir in the pureed spinach, and continue to simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
6. Add the chicken and simmer for one minute, or until chicken is heated through.
7. Add the garam masala and remaining chicken broth. Serve warm.