1 leaner – 3 greens – 1 healthy fat – 2 condiments (per serving)
4 servings Ingredients: • 1 cup whole basil leaves • ½ tsp black pepper • 1¼ lb. 96% lean ground beef • 3 oz. light cream cheese • 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat mozzarella • 1 tsp salt, divided • ¾ lb. fresh tomatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick (about 2 cups) • 1 lb. zucchini
1. Using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice the zucchini into ¼-inch slices lengthwise to make lasagna “noodles” (should yield about 4 cups zucchini lasagna noodles). Sprinkle with a ½ teaspoon of salt and allow to sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, combine the ground beef (browning meat prior to mixing is optional but not necessary) with the pepper, cream cheese and remaining salt.
3. Pat dry the sliced zucchini and put one layer into a casserole dish. Top the zucchini with a thin layer of each: the ground beef mix, basil leaves and sliced tomatoes.
4. Repeat step 3 until all of the layer ingredients are used up. The last layer should be zucchini slices. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
5. Bake in an oven at 425°F for 30 minutes until golden. Cut into 4 equally-sized portions and serve.