Celery with Shiitake Mushrooms & Chicken
1 leaner – 3 greens – 1 healthy fat – 3 condiments (per serving)
4 servings Ingredients: • 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast • 1 lb. head of celery, trimmed and sliced • 2 tsp chili oil • ½ oz. fresh ginger root, thinly sliced • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced • ⅓ cup light soy sauce • ½ tsp salt • 2 medium scallions, trimmed and cut in half • 2 medium scallions, trimmed and cut into fine rings • 2 tsp sesame oil • 10½ oz. Shiitake mushroom caps, sliced into strips • 8 cups water, divided • ½ tsp ground white pepper • 1 tbsp white vinegar
1. Combine 4 cups of water with the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and salt in a pot. Add scallion halves, and bring to a boil.
2. Add the chicken breast and poach very gently until the chicken breast is fully cooked, about 10 minutes. Remove the chicken breast from the cooking liquid, set aside and allow to cool.
3. Meanwhile, strain the cooking liquid used to cook the chicken and gently simmer the sliced mushrooms in it for about 1 minute. Take the mushrooms out of the cooking liquid and set aside.
4. Once the chicken is cool enough to touch, cut it into bite-sized pieces; set aside.
5. Prepare the celery by separating the ribs of celery and removing the tender leaves. Cut the tender leaves finely and set aside for later use. Pull the stringy fibers from the celery ribs and discard. Cut the celery ribs on an angle into small slices.
6. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, and rapidly boil the sliced celery until just tender, about 1½ minutes. Shock the celery in cold water to stop the cooking.
7. Combine the celery with the shiitake mushrooms and chicken in a mixing bowl. Add the pepper, vinegar, sesame oil, chili oil, and scallion rings.
8. Arrange on a platter and garnish with the celery leaves. Serve at room temperature.