Spicy Tofu with Chicken and Mushrooms
1 leaner – 3 greens – 1 healthy fat – 3 condiments (per serving)
4 servings Ingredients: • ¾ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into fine strips • 2 lbs. mushrooms, such as button mushrooms, cut into quarters • 1 tbsp chili bean paste • ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro • 2 tsp minced fresh ginger root • 2 cloves garlic, minced • ¼ cup light soy sauce • 2 tsp oil • 1 tsp red pepper flakes • ¼ tsp salt • ½ tsp Sichuan peppercorns • 2, (15-oz.) blocks Mori-nu silken firm tofu, cut into ¾–inch cubes • 4 spring onions, divided • 1 cup water
1. Combine the oil, Sichuan peppercorns and red pepper flakes in a wok or skillet and carefully heat until the peppercorns and red pepper flakes start to brown and become fragrant. Using a small slotted spoon, skim the Sichuan peppers and red pepper flakes from the oil and discard.
2. Trim and mince two of the spring onions. Add the chili bean paste, ginger, garlic and spring onions to the infused oil, and cook until fragrant.
3. Add the chicken and mushrooms, and stir-fry gently until chicken is cooked and mushrooms are tender.
4. Add the soy sauce. Carefully place the tofu over the mushrooms and chicken, and sprinkle a small amount of salt over top.
5. Add water to the wok; cover and cook gently for about 3 minutes.
6. Gently mix the tofu with the mushrooms and chicken, being careful not to break the tofu as it is very fragile. Slice the remaining spring onions into thin pieces. Garnish dish with remaining spring onions and cilantro. Serve immediately.