Beef Pot Pie with Cauliflower Crust
1 lean – 3 greens – 0 healthy fats – 2 condiments (per serving)
4 servings Ingredients: • 1 cup low sodium beef stock • 1 cup button mushrooms, cut into quarters • 1 large egg • 1¼ lb. flat iron steak • 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley (optional garnish) • ¼ cup low-fat cream cheese • 1 cup sliced okra • 4 cups riced cauliflower • ¾ tsp salt, divided
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Spread the cauliflower on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
4. With a kitchen towel, squeeze the cauliflower to remove any excess moisture. Mix together the squeezed cauliflower with the egg and a ¼ teaspoon of salt; set aside.
5. Cut the steak into bite-sized pieces and season with a ½ teaspoon of salt. Place into an ovenproof casserole dish and add the beef stock and cream cheese (no need to stir as the cream cheese will melt as it cooks in the oven).
6. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place into the oven for 1 hour.
7. After 1 hour, remove the aluminum foil and stir in the cut mushrooms and sliced okra.
8. Return the casserole dish into the oven for another 30 minutes without the aluminum foil.
9. Remove casserole from the oven and increase oven temperature to 450°F.
10. Spread the cauliflower mix over the beef stew to make a crust and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown. Garnish with parsley if desired.