Baked Cod with Tomatoes & Feta
1 leanest – 3 greens – 2 healthy fats – 3 condiments (per serving)
4 servings Ingredients: • ½ tsp ground black pepper, divided • 2½ cups diced canned tomatoes, with juice • 1¾ lbs. cod fillets, cut into 12 equal sized pieces, 3 per portion • ¼ tsp dried oregano • 1 cup fresh whole basil leaves, gently chopped • 2 garlic cloves • 2½ tbsp olive oil • ⅓ cup reduced-fat crumbled feta cheese • ½ tsp salt • 4 scallions, chopped with green and white parts separated • 1, (12-oz.) zucchini
1. In a sauce pan, cook the garlic and white parts of scallions in one tablespoon olive oil until fragrant.
2. Add the tomatoes and oregano, and simmer gently for 20 minutes, or until tomatoes reduce and thicken.
3. While tomatoes are cooking, slice the zucchinis lengthwise on a mandolin to make 1/8-inch thick slices; set aside.
4. When tomatoes are done, remove from heat and stir in green parts of scallions.
5. Preheat oven to 425⁰F.
6. Arrange the sliced zucchini in an oven proof casserole dish, and place cod on top. Season cod with salt and a ¼ teaspoon pepper, and drizzle with remaining olive oil.
7. Top cod with cooked tomatoes and feta cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cod reaches an internal temperature of 145⁰F. Top with basil and remaining black pepper.