Spicy Shredded Beef
1 lean – 3 greens – 0 healthy fats – 3 condiments (per serving)
4 servings Ingredients: • ½ tsp ground black pepper • 4 cups broccoli florets, steamed • 1 tsp canola oil • 1¼ lb. flank steak, thinly sliced • 1 tbsp thinly sliced fresh ginger root • 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce • 2 fresh red chili peppers, seeds and membranes removed, thinly sliced • 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar • 1 tbsp sambal • 2 spring onions, trimmed and diced, white and green parts separated
1. In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and soy sauce. Add the thinly sliced beef to the marinade and toss to coat. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to a boil to steam the broccoli. Put broccoli in a steamer basket, and place over boiling water. Cover with a lid, and cook until broccoli turns bright green and tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Heat a skillet over high heat, and stir-fry beef with marinade for 2 to 3 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate, and set aside.
4. Place the skillet back on the burner, and heat oil over medium heat. Once oil is hot, stir-fry the chili peppers, white part of spring onions, and ginger until fragrant, about one minute.
5. Stir in the sambal and pepper.
6. Place the beef slices back in the skillet and mix well. Serve beef mixture hot with steamed broccoli; garnish beef with green parts of spring onions.